Lower limb motor coordination
Motor coordination, otherwise referred to as dexterity refers to the ability to perform a motor task in an accurate, rapid and controlled manner. The test for motor coordination requires temporal and spatial accuracy. Lower limb motor coordination is essential for the performance of most daily motor activities, such as walking, running, ascending/descending stairs, standing from a chair. The effective performance of these tasks are critical for an independent life. It is also important for community activities, its limitation may cause people to become housebound and isolated from the society, especially for those who had suffered stroke. Motor tasks performed within different contexts require between-limb coordination, which is essential for an independent and safe life, especially in elderly individuals. Adequate lower limb motor coordination significantly contributes to functionality of stroke individuals, its loss is the major contributor to disability in this population . Thus, therapeutic approaches aimed at restoring lower limb motor coordination are of great interest for rehabilitation professionals who are involved in research and clinical settings.
Medical conditions that may exhibit deficits in lower limb motor coordination
Assessment of lower limb motor coordination
Lower limb motor coordination evaluation is very important for a physical therapist practice, as it enables the understanding of the nature and level of impairments of the individual in a standardized way . The information gathered from the assessment tools may help planning the interventions and monitoring the clinical status of the patients before, during, and after physical therapy interventions .
The tools used to assess lower limb motor coordination are divided into two; non-specific and specific.
- Auditory-paced ankle dorsi and plantarflexion task
- Rapid alternating movement patterns test (RAMP)
- Pinheiro M, Scianni A, Ada L, Faria C, Teixeira-Salmela L. Reference Values and Psychometric Properties of the Lower Extremity Motor Coordination Test. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2014;95(8):1490-1497.
- Bernstein, N.A. Dexterity and its development. (1st edition ed.). Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1996.
- Desrosiers J, Rochette A, Corriveau H. Validation of a new lower-extremity motor coordination test. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 2005 May 1;86(5):993-8.
- Carr J, Shepherd R. Reabilitação neurológica: otimizando o desempenho motor. São Paulo: Manole; 2008
- Gao KL, Ng SS, Kwok JW, Chow RT, Tsang WW. Eye–hand coordination and its relationship with sensori-motor impairments in stroke survivors. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2010 Apr 1;42(4):368-73.
- Capranica L, Tessitore A, Olivieri B, Minganti C, Pesce C. Field evaluation of cycled coupled movements of hand and foot in older individuals. Gerontology. 2004;50(6):399-406.
- de Menezes KK, Scianni AA, Faria-Fortini I, Avelino PR, Faria CD, Teixeira-Salmela LF. Lower limb motor coordination of stroke survivors, based upon their levels of motor recovery and ages. Journal of Neurology & Neurophysiology. 2015;6(6):1-3.
- Menezes KP, Nascimento LR, Pinheiro MB, Scianni AA, Faria CD, Avelino P, Faria-Fortini I, Teixeira-Salmela LF. Lower limb motor coordination is significantly impaired in ambulatory people with chronic stroke: a cross-sectional study. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2017 Apr 1;49:322-6.
- Menezes KK, Nascimento LR, Faria CD, Avelino PR, Scianni AA, Polese JC, Faria-Fortini I, Teixeira-Salmela LF. Deficits in motor coordination of the paretic lower limb best explained activity limitations after stroke. Physiotherapy theory and practice. 2020 Mar 3;36(3):417-23.
- Ada, L, Canning, C. Changing the way we view the contribution of motor impairments to physical disability after stroke. In: Refshauge, K, Ada, L, Ellis E (2005) editors. Science-based rehabilitation: theories into practice. Sydney: Elsevier; 87–106.
- Krebs MO, Gut-Fayand A, Bourdel MC, Dischamp J, Olié JP. Validation and factorial structure of a standardized neurological examination assessing neurological soft signs in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research. 2000 Oct 27;45(3):245-60.
- Wirth B, van Hedel H, Curt A. Foot control in incomplete SCI: distinction between paresis and dexterity. Neurological research. 2008 Feb 1;30(1):52-60.
- Braga-Neto P, Godeiro-Junior C, Dutra LA, Pedroso JL, Barsottini OG. Translation and validation into Brazilian version of the Scale of the Assessment and Rating of Ataxia (SARA). Arquivos de neuro-psiquiatria. 2010 Apr;68(2):228-30.
- Schmitz-Hübsch T, Du Montcel ST, Baliko L, Berciano J, Boesch S, Depondt C, Giunti P, Globas C, Infante J, Kang JS, Kremer B. Scale for the assessment and rating of ataxia: development of a new clinical scale. Neurology. 2006 Jun 13;66(11):1717-20.
- Maki T, Quagliato EM, Cacho EW, Paz LP, Nascimento NH, Inoue MM, Viana MA. Reliability study on the application of the Fugl-Meyer scale in Brazil. Revista Brasileira Fisioterapia. 2006;10(2):177-83.
- Dittiger M, Bohannon RW, Andrews AW. Reliability, responsiveness, and validity of timed, large amplitude, rapid alternating movement patterns among patients with stroke. Journal of Physical Therapy Science. 2001;13(2):75-81.
- Gunzler SA, Pavel M, Koudelka C, Carlson NE, Nutt JG. Foot-tapping rate as an objective outcome measure for Parkinson disease clinical trials. Clinical Neuropharmacology. 2009 Mar 1;32(2):97-102.
- Cavaco NS, Alouche SR. Instrumentos de avaliação da função de membros superiores após acidente vascular encefálico: uma revisão sistemática. Fisioterapia e Pesquisa. 2010 Jun;17(2):178-83.
- Soriano FF, Baraldi K. Escalas de avaliação funcional aplicáveis a pacientes pós acidente vascular encefálico. ConScientiae Saúde. 2010;9(3):521-30.
- Lima RC. Adaptação transcultural do Stroke Specific Quality of Life SSQOL: um instrumento específico para avaliar a qualidade de vida de hemiplégicos. [dissertação]. Belo Horizonte: Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais; 2006.
- Gadotti IC, Vieira ER, Magee DJ. Importance and clarification of measurement properties in rehabilitation. Brazilian Journal of Physical Therapy. 2006;10(2):137-46.
- Maffiuletti NA, Bizzini M, Schatt S, Munzinger U. A multi-joint lower-limb tracking-trajectory test for the assessment of motor coordination. Neuroscience letters. 2005 Aug 12;384(1-2):106-11.