- 1 Introduction
- 2 A brief history of physiotherapy in Nepal
- 3 Regulating Bodies of Physiotherapy in Nepal
- 4 Current code of ethics and revision
- 5 Physiotherapy Education
- 6 Challenges of physiotherapy Profession
- 7 Positive steps
- 8 Resources
- 9 References
Nepal is the one of the country located in Asia Western Pacific Region. About health system
Practising physiotherapists in Nepal: 2,053
A brief history of physiotherapy in Nepal
Nurses and other health professionals were trained in Government hospitals.
Regulating Bodies of Physiotherapy in Nepal
Nepal Health Professional Council (NHPC)
It is a national governing body which comes under Ministry of Health and Population ( MOHP) of Nepal. Under this council, there are about 29 different professions registered including Physiotherapy.
Nepal Physiotherapy Association (NEPTA)
- It is a national organization of professional Nepalese physiotherapists.
- It become a member of World Confederation for Physical Therapy (WCPT) in 2003.
- It is the 11th smallest member organisation in the Asia Western Pacific Region of WCPT.
- There are 455 physiotherapist members in this member organisation (MO).
- The Nepal Physiotherapy Association has experienced a 9% increase in membership numbers in the past year. ( Survey from 2018)
Current code of ethics and revision
In your region 17% of respondents reported that physical therapists need to be a member of their national body to practice. In your country physical therapists are not required to be a member of your organisation to practice.
Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences (KUSMS) was the only place where formal undergraduate (4.5 years) physiotherapy course is delivered in Nepal. Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT) was started in 2010 AD. Currently student intake is increased to 30 students every year.
Since 2018, Pokhara university has also started Bachelor of Physiotherapy.
Challenges of physiotherapy Profession
- Saurab Sharma. Physiotherapy regulation in Nepal. [PowerPoint presentation]. Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences, Nepal. [Jul 14, 2017; Feb 6, 2021]. Available from: https://www.slideshare.net/saurabsharma/physiotherapy-regulation-in-nepal?qid=c5ab0775-ca94-4fbe-95a5-733397961ebe&v=&b=&from_search=9.
- World Physiotherapy. Nepal. [PowerPoint presentation]. WCPT Country Profile 2019. [2019; 2021-02-06]. Available from: https://world.physio/sites/default/files/2020-06/CountryProfile2019_AWP_Nepal.pdf.
- Nepal Physiotherapy Association (NEPTA). Available from: http://nepalphysio.org.np/ [6 Feb 2020].
- World Physiotherapy. Nepal: a profile of the profession in 2020. Available from: https://world.physio/membership/nepal [30 June 2020, 6 Feb 2020].