Parkinson's Disease Questionnaire (PDQ-8)
Parkinson’s disease Questionnaire-8 (PDQ-8) is the brief version of PDQ-39 formulated to reduce the respondent burden and for convenient use in clinical settings in patients of Parkinson Disease, Parkinson’s disease Questionnaire (PDQ-39) consists of 39 questions from 8 dimensions: mobility, activities of daily of living, emotional well-being, stigma, social support, cognition, communication, and bodily discomfort, and therefore can be cumbersome to complete. Parkinson’s disease Questionnaire-8 (PDQ-8) is the patient reported outcome measure constructed by taking one question from each of the eight domain of PDQ-39.
It is a quality of life outcome measure used in patient with Parkinson disease.
Method of Use
Questionnaire based, Pen and paper
This instrument though freely available is copyrighted by the authors and requires their permission prior to use.
Instrument and Scoring
It is a eight question instrument with a question taken from each domain of: mobility, activities of daily of living, emotional well-being, stigma, social support, cognition, communication, and bodily discomfort.
The question are cored out of 0-4 and the sum is totaled.
The questions are:
- Had difficulty getting around in public?
- Had difficulty dressing yourself?
- Felt depressed?
- Had problems with your close personal relationships?
- Had problems with your concentration, e.g. when reading or watching TV?
- Felt unable to communicate with people properly?
- Had painful muscle cramps or spasms?
- Felt embarrassed in public due to having Parkinson’s disease?
Inter-rater/ Intra-rater reliability: strong correlation between the summary indices of the PDQ-8 and the PDQ-39 (r=0.93, P<0.001)
Internal Consistency: acceptable internal consistency(Cronbach’s α: 0.80; Item-scale correlation efficient: 0.56–0.72)
Validity: Excellent convergent and concurrent validity
More Information can be found at:
- Peto V, Jenkinson C, Fitzpatrick R. PDQ-39: a review of the development, validation and application of a Parkinson's disease quality of life questionnaire and its associated measures. J Neurol. 1998;245(Suppl 1):S10–S14.
- Hagell P, Whalley D, McKenna SP, Lindvall O. Health status measurement in Parkinson's disease: validity of the PDQ-39 and Nottingham health profile. Mov Disord. 2003;18:773–783.
- Chen, K., Yang, YJ., Liu, FT. et al. Evaluation of PDQ-8 and its relationship with PDQ-39 in China: a three-year longitudinal study. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017. 15, 170. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-017-0742-5
- Huang TT, et al. Quality of life in Parkinson’s disease patients: validation of the Short-Form Eight-item Parkinson’s Disease Questionnaire (PDQ-8) in Taiwan. Qual Life Res 2011;20:499-505