Extensor Digiti Minimi
Original Editor - Shreya Pavaskar
Top Contributors - Shreya Pavaskar
Extensor Digiti Minimi is a long slender skeletal muscle situated in the posterior compartment of the forearm. It lies between Extensor Digitorum and Extensor Carpi Ulnaris and is generally connected to the Extensor Digitorum. The antagonist of this muscle is Flexor Digiti Minimi muscle.
It originates from the common extensor origin present on the lateral epicondyle of the humerus by a tendinous slip and from the intermuscular septum.
Posterior Interosseous Nerve ( C7, C8 )
Radial recurrent artery from Radial artery and Posterior Interosseous artery from Ulnar artery.
Extensor Digiti Minimi helps in extending the fifth finger along with Extensor Digitorum Communis. It also helps in extension of the wrist.
The conditions involving Extensor Digiti Minimi are Vaugh Jackson Syndrome and Tenosynovits.
Palpation, MMT and Muscle Length Test are used in the assessment of Extensor Digiti Minimi.
- Gray H. Anatomy of the human body. Lea & Febiger; 1878.
- nabil ebraheim. Extensor Digiti Minimi - Everything You Need To Know - Dr. Nabil Ebraheim. Available from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkdDEUnb_A [last accessed 25/10/2020]
- Cael C. Functional anatomy: musculoskeletal anatomy, kinesiology, and palpation for manual therapists. Jones & Bartlett Learning; 2020 Aug 3.
- nabil ebraheim. Conditions Affecting Dorsal Wrist Compartments - Everything You Need To Know - Dr. Nabil Ebraheim. Available from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKGB2sFaJzA [last accessed 25/10/2020]
- Ryan J. Wrist and Finger Extensors Palpation . Available from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tegNESgSYc [last accessed 25/10/2020]
- abdulaziz al-aslami. 09 Extensor Digitorum, Extensor Indicis, and Extensor Digiti Minimi Muscle Length Test. Available from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjAxNaplIBo [last accessed 25/10/2020]
- all State Athletic Training. Extensor Digitorum, Indicis, & Minimi MMT. Available from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaMga26WYRg[last accessed 25/10/2020]