A Physiotherapist with a background in Healthcare Communications. I have an interest in technology and online communication in the Physiotherapy Profession, in particular in improving access to research evidence for Physiotherapists. I studied for my pre-registration MSc Physiotherapy at the University of Southampton, UK, before starting my Physiotherapy career, which has seen me in private practice working with patients with neurological problems, in NHS musculoskeletal outpatients, and as a Clinical Specialist Physiotherapist working in Neurology Outpatients for East Cheshire NHS Trust in Macclesfield, UK. Alongside my studies and working life, I have volunteered for the Physiopedia charity for 8 years, working on content development and quality, communications, and evidence-based resources. My current role at Physiopedia involves developing evidence-based email update resources for Physiotherapists and managing online Communications. I love all things outdoors, and when not working can be found out somewhere in the hills.
- June 2019–present: Consulting work managing Social Media communications for Outpatient Therapies at East Cheshire NHS Trust
- June 2018–June 2019: Clinical Specialist Physiotherapist, Neurology Outpatients, Macclesfield District General Hospital, East Cheshire NHS Trust
- September 2017–June 2018: Physiotherapist, Musculoskeletal Outpatients, Macclesfield District General Hospital, East Cheshire NHS Trust
- June 2012–September 2017: Physiotherapist, Susan Pattison Neurological Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy, specialising in the treatment of adults & children living with neurological conditions
- Jan 2012–2013: Bollington Stroke Survivors Club
Experienced Healthcare Communications Freelancer taking on writing and editorial projects.
- Jan 2010–present: Editorial Freelance Work
- Account management and editorial and writing projects for medical communications agencies
- May 2004–Dec 2009: AS&K Mercury Healthcare Communications – Deputy Editorial Director
- Responsibility for, and line management of, two editorial teams in a well established medical communications agency; providing account direction and quality assurance; maintaining client, company and departmental policy and best practice
- July 2002–April 2004: Ashley Publications Ltd – Production/Commissioning Editor
- Managing the peer-reviewed journal Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Patents
2010–2012 – University of Southampton, Southampton, Hampshire, UK
MSc Physiotherapy (Pre-registration) – Distinction
1998–2002 – University of Leeds, Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
BSc (Hons) Pharmacology 2(i)
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy; membership number: 090358
- Health Professions Council; registration number: PH 98511
- Association of Chartered Physiotherapists Interested in Neurology (ACPIN); membership number: 9733
- Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Sports and Exercise Medicine (ACPSM); membership number: 13440
- Aird L, et al. How physiotherapists from across the globe access current research: a preliminary analysis. Presented at WCPT 2019, Geneva, Switzerland
- Aird L, et al. Quadriceps muscle elasticity, tone and stiffness in older males: Reliability and symmetry using the MyotonPRO. Arch Gerontol Geriatr (In Press) 2012.
- Aird L, et al. Quadriceps muscle elasticity, tone and stiffness in older males: Reliability and symmetry using the MyotonPRO. Abstract accepted for poster presentation at Physiotherapy 2012; Liverpool, October 2012.
- Agyapong-Badu, S., Aird, L., Bailey, L., Mooney, K., Mullix, J., Warner, M., Samuel, D. and Stokes, M., 2011. Inter-rater reliability of measuring skeletal muscle viscoelastic properties using the MyotonPRO device. Clin. Biomechan. (article in preparation).
- Hammond LC, et al. Chronic hypoxia up-regulates expression of adenosine A1 receptors in DDT1-MF2 cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 2004;67:421–6.
Jan 2011–present: www.physio-pedia.com
Follow me on Twitter @AirdLucy