Introductionpisiform bone and distally at the hook of the hamate. The ulnar nerve and ulnar artery pass through the Guyon canal as they pass from distal forearm to the hand.
The Guyon canal houses the ulnar nerve and its branches, ulnar artery and venous and lymphatic vessels. As the ulnar nerve exits the Guyon’s canal it is divided into deep (motor) branch of the ulnar nerve and superficial (sensory) branch of the ulnar nerve.
- Roof: palmar carpal ligament, palmaris brevis and hypothenar connective tissue.
- Floor: transverse carpal ligament, pisohamete ligament, pismetacarpal ligament, flexor digitorum profundus tendons and opponens digiti minimi.
- Medial wall: pisiform, abductor digiti minimi and flexor carpi ulnaris tendon.
- Lateral wall: hook of hamete, transverse carpal ligament and the flexor tendons.
Guyon canal syndrome is the second reason for compression syndromes at the wrist after carpal tunnel syndrome. Compression of the ulnar nerve at the Guyon’s canal leads to specific sensory and motor symptoms according to the location of the compression.
Hypothenar hand syndrome is caused by repeated trauma to the hypothenar region, resulting in injury to the ulnar artery in Guyon space.
- Ramage JL, Varacallo M. Anatomy, Shoulder and Upper Limb, Hand Guyon Canal.
- Depukat P, Mizia E, Kłosiński M, Dzikowska M, Klimek-Piotrowska W, Mazur M, Kuniewicz M, Bonczar T. Anatomy of Guyon's canal-a systematic review. Folia Medica Cracoviensia. 2014;54(2).
- Vargas A, Chiapas-Gasca K, Hernández-Díaz C, Canoso JJ, Saavedra MÁ, Navarro-Zarza JE, Villaseñor-Ovies P, Kalish RA. Clinical anatomy of the hand. Reumatologia clinica. 2012 Dec 1;8:25-32.
- Hoogvliet P, Coert JH, Fridén J, Huisstede BM. How to treat Guyon's canal syndrome? Results from the European HANDGUIDE study: a multidisciplinary treatment guideline. British journal of sports medicine. 2013 Nov 1;47(17):1063-70.
- Yuen JC, Wright E, Johnson LA, Culp WC. Hypothenar hammer syndrome: an update with algorithms for diagnosis and treatment. Annals of plastic surgery. 2011 Oct 1;67(4):429-38.