Lower Extremity Functional Scale (LEFS)
Original Editor - Emily Hanson
Method of Use
Patients select an answer from the following scale for each activity listed:
- Extreme Difficulty or Unable to Perform Activity
- Quite a Bit of Difficulty
- Moderate Difficulty
- A Little Bit of Difficulty
- No Difficulty
The patient's score is tallied at the bottom of the page. The maximum possible score is 80 points, indicating very high function. The minimum possible score is 0 points, indicating very low function.
Example Questionnaire: Lower Extremity Functional Scale
Internal reliability for the LEFS is excellent (α=0.96). Test-retest reliability estimates were R=.86 (95% lower limit CI=.80) for the entire sample (n=98) and R=.94 (95% lower limit CI=.89) for the subset of patients with more chronic conditions (n=31).
The LEFS is a valid tool as compared to the SF-36.
The minimum detectable change (MDC) for the LEFS is 9 points. That is, a change of more than 9 points represents a true change in the patient's condition.
The minimum clinically important difference (MCID) for the LEFS is 9 points. That is, "Clinicians can be reasonably confident that a change of greater than 9 points is... a clinically meaningful functional change."
The capacity of the LEFS to detect change in lower-extremity function appears to be superior to that of the SF-36 physical function subscale, as indicated by higher correlations with an external prognostic rating of change.
The LEFS has an error of +/- 5 points. That is, the tabulated score is within 5 points of a patient's "true" score.
- Lower Extremity Functional Scale (McReady Foundation)
- Lower Extremity Functional Scale (Emory Healthcare)
- Binkley JM, Stratford PW, Lott SA, Riddle DL. The lower extremity functional scale (LEFS): scale development, measurement properties, and clinical application. Phys Ther 1999;79:371-383.
- Rehabilitation Measures Database Lower Extremity Functional Scale http://www.rehabmeasures.org/Lists/RehabMeasures/DispForm.aspx?ID=1113 (accessed 24 Mar 2015).
- lower extremity functional scale https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Source-originale-Binkley-JM-Stratford-PW-Lott-SA-Riddle-DL-The-Lower-Extremity_fig1_221874838 (accessed on 29 August 2018)
- Fillechaud. Scoring the LEFS. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CDhRMZCWQ4 [last accessed 24/03/2015]