Abductor Pollicis Brevis
It takes its origin from the front of transverse carpal ligament, extending into the tubercles of scaphoid and trapezium with an occasional contribution from the tendon of abductor pollicis longus.
Princeps pollicis artery.
It acts to abduct the carpometacarpal joint of the thumb.
- Carpal tunel syndrome
- Median and ulnar nerve lesion
- Motor neurone disease
- Peripheral neuropathy
The function can be tested by providing resistance to abduction up and away from the plane of the palm.
There are some useful exercises to strengthen the abductor pollicis brevis muscle which include many common techniques that you can do in your own home on your own time.
- Cael C. Functional anatomy. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 2011
- Palastanga N, Field D, Soames R. Anatomy and human movement. 4th ed. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann; 2002.
- Lippert L, Lippert L. Clinical kinesiology and anatomy. 4th ed. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis; 2006.
- Tiwana MS, Sinkler MA, Bordoni B. Anatomy, Shoulder and Upper Limb, Triceps Muscle. StatPearls [Internet]. 2020 May 30
- The Muscles of the Hand - Thenar - Hypothenar - TeachMeAnatomy [Internet]. Teachmeanatomy.info. 2020 [cited 21 September 2020]. Available from: https://teachmeanatomy.info/upper-limb/muscles/hand/?fbclid=IwAR12pBXShD88Na_jqJc6bSMhslR1-4F573kwF60ZHdV3C67U7380Itmqgxk#Lumbricals
- Harrison M. Common problems. Neurological Skills. 1987;:63-99.
- UC San Diego's Practical Guide to Clinical Medicine [Internet]. Meded.ucsd.edu. 2020 [cited 22 September 2020]. Available from: https://meded.ucsd.edu/clinicalmed/joints3.html
- MMT Abductor pollicis brevis & Adductor pollicis. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYLm6rL3v-I&feature=emb_logo [Last accessed 1/10/2020]
- Exercises to Strengthen the Abductor Pollicis Brevis Muscle : Sports Conditioning. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYsZLTrUT1I&feature=emb_logo [Last accessed 30/9/2020]