Manual Techniques for the Cervicothoracic Spine
Original Editors - Dana TewTop Contributors -
Cervico-Thoracic Spine Joint Manipulation [edit | edit source]
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Conditions treated[edit | edit source]
Neck pain[edit | edit source]
Some evidence has shown that grade IV cervical spine mobilisations (unilateral and central PA) can have an increase in deep neck flexor strength.
Thoracic mobilisations alongside deep flexor strengthening exercises have also been shown to help reduce chronic neck pain.
Thoracic pain[edit | edit source]
Shoulder pain[edit | edit source]
Some studies have shown that cervical and thoracic joint mobilisations can help to reduce pain and improve ROM in some patients presenting with sub-acromial pain syndrome.
Thoracic Spine Joint Manipulation and Mobilization[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Gauri Milind Ghan & V. Sarath Babu. Immediate Effect of Cervico-thoracic Mobilization on Deep Neck Flexors Strength in Individuals with Forward Head Posture: A Randomized Controlled Trial, Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy, (2020)
- Taesung Ko, Uichul Jeong, Kwanwoo Lee, Effects of the Inclusion Thoracic Mobilization into Cranio-Cervical Flexor Exercise in Patients with Chronic Neck Pain, Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 2010, Volume 22, Issue 1, Pages 87-91
- S Jena, M Pattnaik, P Mohanty, Effect of cervico-thoracic mobilisation on hemiplegic shoulder pain with supraspinatus tendonitis due to impingement syndrome: an experimental study. International Journal of Physiotherapy and Research, Int J Physiother Res 2016, Vol 4(3):1510-17
- Maitland Techniques-All. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pncefI5qyog
- SNAGs Lower Cervical Spine C3-7 Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTKOoV5wHBU
- Upper thoracic functional mobilization. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMThXJf6mrE
- Thoracic Spine mobilization. Reverse Nag. Mulligan Mobilization with movement Technique MWM. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8juGfCJOcc
- Mid Thoracic Spine PA Manipulation. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpsxLSn3sQo