Working in Private Practice in Ireland
Top Contributors - Claire Adams
Similarly to all other member of the Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists, Chartered Physiotherapists working in private practice are all graduates of accredited Physiotherapy degree courses who have demonstrated that they are competent practitioners, educated to the highest international standards.
There are many advantages and disadvantages to working in private practice physiotherapy. The size of the practice, the salary you earn, the patients you will see and indeed the overall experience varies from practice to practice. Below is a list of some benefits and drawbacks of working in private practice
• Exciting and Challenging - There are less direct referrals and there will not always be a readily available multidisciplinary team.You may the only person in contact with this patient
• Flexibility-More flexible work schedule and working hours
• Greater Autonomy- Greater Independence with patients and your schedule
• Mainly musculoskeletal- Can focus on a specific area and become a specialist in that area
• No panel- Can apply directly for jobs when they are advertised
• Isolated-May feel lonely as you are no longer part of the big hospital environment
• Loss of skills- May lose some skills such as those used in ICU or A and E.
• No in-services/CPD- Depending on the practice there may be less regular in-services
• Profit Driven-May be feel under pressure to be making a big profit
Private Practice Physiotherapy Jobs are not recruited through the Panel System. Below are lists of recruitment agencies where private practice physiotherapy jobs are advertised in Ireland and abroad.
Recruitment Agencies in Ireland:
Recruitment Agencies Abroad:
The Chartered Physiotherapists in Private Practice (CPPP) is a very helpful and useful organisation set up to represent members of the Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapist who are currently employed in Private Practice
On review of the jobs posted on the recruitment sites there are some common qualifications private practice employers are seeking amongst job applicants
1. Australian Physiotherapy and Pilates Institute
2. STOTTS Pilates